Pages

Follow Me On Twitter

Tuesday 24 May 2011

A Review of The Taker by Alma Katsu.

The Taker by Alma Katsu.

The Taker is a minty fresh breath of air in a world so dominated at the moment by a tween culture hooked on Twilight.
When I first picked up the book in ASDA, I admit I judged it, I read the back saw the words immortals and thought, oh no another product of the vampire craze that's going on. A craze I'm not a fan off, I like my vampires like Mitchell on Being Human except maybe less Human. Now however I'm misleading you because this is a book far from vampires, this is about humanity.
This is Lanny's story, after she arrives in the E.R one cold night, Lanny begins to tell Luke a tale of love reminiscent of that from Wuthering Heights.
The book begins by leading straight into action that tickles every part of your curious being, I fail to see how anyone can not read at least the first few pages and not want to know more, not want to know who Lanny is, where she has come from, what led to her to being in that ER.


Without giving anything away that isn't in the first few pages Lanny is there because she has murdered a man. This is not any ordinary case of murder though and as the story unfolds we learn about Lanny's journey from simple country bumpkin to her horrific time spent with Adair.
What I love about the book is how well written it is; Mrs Katsu really is an excellent writer and deserves to get a lot of high praise for her work. I think one of the ways in which Mrs Katsu does this, is in the way she writes some of the more upsetting scenes. I feel whether this was her intention or not; that more is left to the imagination, the events are detailed but not overly graphic, they are shocking yet humanized. I refer now back to one particular incident in the book in a celler. The way in which it is described and discussed is so human and compasionate. It leaves more to your imagination which in some ways is more scary.
The characters within the story are all extreamley three dimensional and I like the fact that our main characters- without giving to much away- don't all get happy ever after fairytale endings. Mrs Katsu's work does not leave a reader dissappointed.
I can garuntee if you choose to read this book you will be on the edge of your seat with frustration at the fact there are surely only a few chapters to go so HOW ON EARTH IS THIS GOING TO BE RESOLVED BEFORE THEN! Which is a good thing; it pushes you on and refuses to let you stop reading for fear that you won't find out what happens.
This is a 10 star stella book, strong writing, characters and plot. I reccomend everyone goes out and buys it or takes it out of the library.

Ugly Duckling Out xx

1 comment: